This last week was HOT!! Wow, it was close to 90 degrees up on the mountain and it was brutal. However my crew was wrapping up our final section of trail on Mt. Tallac so having the end in site made the heat a bit more bearable. Luckily there is a strong cold front coming in today meaning it will drop from the high 80's to the mid to low 60's this week! Awesome! Possible snow showers also up in the higher elevations. May have to do a small backpacking trip this weekend.
I found out early this week that my crew will be moving over to a different worksite called Cold Creek. This is where the Forest Service Trail crew has been working all summer. However they have fallen behind schedule so we will be going over to help them out a bit. While details are still not known we should be doing more retaining wall construction and trail armoring for a very popular mountain biking trail. We could also be constructing some biking features like jumps and teeter-totters. This work will be quite different than what we have been doing since it is not in a wilderness area. We will be quarrying rock with motorized rock drills and transporting rock using cable high-lines and pulleys.
Since my last post I have been quite busy on the weekends. I have been home to visit my family. My 93 year grandmother is up visiting so I got to chill with her a bit and play a lot of cards. I also got to watch my brother race a half marathon in Salinas where he took 3rd place. I have had to go to Santa Cruz twice for work reasons and on the way down and back I have been able to visit a number of people including Marie, and Bri, and Himmel, and Solomon. I have also been able to go climbing a fair amount up in Tahoe. As summer is coming to an end and the weather will begin to cool I have been trying to get in the lake as much as possible.
There is a rumor that we will be doing 2 more weeks of work up the Tahoe area putting me here until mid-october. That would be very cool. And if that doesn't happen then I will have a bit of time off before my next project in Flagstaff meaning I will be doing something awesome still to be planned the first half of October.
Speaking of my first project back in Flagstaff, I will be leading a 6 week backcountry trails project in the Coronado National Forest in southern Arizona. It will be 6 weeks straight in the backcountry with mules bringing us food and supplies every 2 weeks. Can't wait for that!!
That's all for now.
Friday, August 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment