Monday, January 17, 2011

More of the same

Wake up, eat, run, shower, sleep, watch tv, find internet, run, eat, watch tv, sleep. Wal-Mart if we are feeling adventurous.
Such is the life at La Loma.
But the life of monotony will not be without its rewards.
For me, I will be rejuvenated and ready to head back out in the wilderness for another awesome season in the Grand Canyon.
For the ladies, they will certainly be reaping the rewards when they head back down to sea level and it comes time for them to race. It has been another great week of workouts and they are adapting very well to the altitude. I am stoked to see how they do in their upcoming races and I know they must be getting anxious to race as well.
While I had to tone back my running this week because of a number of different aches and pains I was able to hit the main days with the ladies. Friday I jumped in the middle of Kimmy's workout and did 3xmile and then finished off with Brie at the end of her tempo.

Kimmy at the start of her workout

Brie enjoying her tempo run through the park

Saturday I attempted to meet up with the local running group to go out and scout a new possible place to do a long run. I failed. I met up with them and tried to understand their directions to where we would run at which point I realized I would need the car since there was not enough room. I got the car and made it back in time to follow them at which point I realized I would need gas. I got gas but then drove around for an hour in the countryside unable to find them. Oh well. The social highlight of the week was today though as we ventured off to Wal-Mart to buy some food type things. It was an enjoyable trip.

Sunday we headed up to the same place as last week to do our long run since I failed to find a different place. We were praying for better conditions than last time. We made it up there a bit earlier in the day and it was slightly cooler and best of all there was just a slight breeze(although it felt a bit stronger by the end of the run). We pulled up to a large crowd of locals waiting for the bus and I'm sure we seemed a bit out of place. We took off down the road around 10:15am.
The same barking cocker spaniel was there to great us 3 minutes into the run, but besides that all went very smoothly. Kimmy is stoked on her new long run drink concoction of coffee, perpetuem and water I believe. She claimed it was way better than last week's orange juice/perpetuem combo, but I still think it tasted nasty. Either way she felt great and claims it was all thanks to the drink. I think taking the previous day off might have also had something to do with it.
I made sure to take my camera out on the run with us to get some shots of them running. I think it is a beautiful, although barren area. Rather than write anymore I will just show some pictures and you can decide for yourself.

About a mile into the run and enjoying the sun

About 3 miles into the run. Almost to the top of a long gradual uphill

Addie and Brie nearing the highest point of the run about 5.5 miles in

Kimmy and Addie can be seen way down the road shortly after turning around at the 6 mile point. You turn around and head straight uphill into a head wind. It's fun

Still uphill into a headwind at 7800ft. Mile 103 for the week for Addie, must feel good.

Kimmy and Addie nearing the top of the hill

Flat ground for a little bit

Running back through a small farming community

A couple horses grazing in the ruins of an old building.

Brie is but a small white dot off in the distance and the other two ladies enjoy a long gradual downhill about 10 miles into the run
We finished the long run and made it back in time for lunch and then relaxed the rest of the day.

We had a lovely run at the park this morning. It is certainly warming up though. It had been lovely for much of last week as it was cloudy and in the lower 60's, but it will be in the high 70's to low 80's for the next few days. Ouch

Tomorrow Kimmy and I will be headed up to the golf course at 7am to get a workout in on the grass. That should be enjoyable. I will then be timing Brie's workout and perhaps jump in on part of Addie's 7 mile cutdown workout. Who knows. That's all for now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment