
Snow on the cars after the first wave of the storm.
It's been a wonderfully fast 6 days off here in Flagstaff. While time seemed to move in slow motion at times as the sky dumped down 2 feet of white bliss, I was constantly on the move, slipping and sliding from place to place.

No BBQ in our backyard this week
Wether it was sitting in the Wine Loft and drinking bottles of wine whilst playing board games with old friends, or skiing some fresh snow on Mt. Humphrey's solo, or playing pool for free with a bunch of new acquaintances, I was in a constant search of the fun that most people were ignoring because of the snow.

Sun setting on great afternoon of skiing. Grand Canyon is off in the distance on right side of picture.
Downtown Flagstaff seemed like a ghost town for about 4 days straight. Even though Flagstaff averages over 100 inches of snow per year it seems like as soon as the white stuff starts to fall people give up on life and stay home. However, I have found that most downtown businesses realize this and thus offer anything and everything to get you to go to their place. Whether this is free pool, cheap food, or almost free drinks, there are plenty of deals to take advantage of on a snow day.
The highlight of the week off was the 2 day NAU Slowfood Movie Festival which highlighted the environmental and social problems created by our current food system. There were some great movies and speakers as well as tons of great likeminded people who did not let the storm keep them from venturing out and supporting a great cause. A not so bad bi-produt of attending the festival was free gift certificates to a number of local restaurants.
Taking up a lot of my time this week has been applying for the Tahoe job I am hoping to get. The application process while not altogether difficult, is just tedious as I don't want to make a small computer mistake which screws everything up. However I feel I have done everything to the best of my ability and hope that by the end of March I will know I am going to be heading up to Tahoe for another awesome summer.

People braving the weather in downtown Flag while I fill out job applications
I head out tomorrow morning at 6 to drive to the canyon for 8 days of awesomeness. After I return I may be going straight to San Diego for 4-5 days to help with the big rock project going on down there. If not that, perhaps a trip to the North Rim of the canyon for a ski trip. Either way should be fun!

Truck and house after shoveling snow
That's all for now!
not gonna lie puddin - i'm jealous. i'm inside almost all day doing my student teaching, and you work outside...that second picture of the snowstorm is fuckin' incredible. you should sell that. what would've been even better is if you said fuck it i'm barbequeing, put on your ski gear, and drink and bbq outside in the fresh pow.
ReplyDeletelemme know where you're gonna be for the summer. i just got a van, i can throw a bed in the back, throw a bike or two in there, and cruise wherever i please.