Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hardly Strictly Summer is Coming to an End

Already one week longer that planned in Tahoe and I have one more week to go. But I am hardly complaining as this has been a strictly awesome Summer. Last weekend was insanely awesome at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco. Over 100+ bands over 3 days on 6 stages with 700,000+ people and all for free. Some of the music highlights that I saw were T-bone Burnett, Gillian Welch, Jackie Green, Peter Himmelman, Steve Earle, Robert Earle Keen, and Umphrey's McGee. Sadly I had to leave before the end and missed some of the bands I would have most liked to see.
It was great to see the new dwellings of Kaitlin and Tyler as well. Both live within blocks of GGP and I thank them for letting me stay at their places. Here are some pictures from the festival as well as a couple videos.

Arriving

Video from Rooster Stage watching Steve Earle


walking down to Banjo stage for Gillian Welch

360 degree view of Banjo Stage waiting for Gillian Welch


Crowd at Towers stage watching Jackie Gree





As far as work is concerned, my crew has finished all the work that was scheduled for us at Cold Creek as of last Wednesday. Now we will spend our final week finishing up some loose ends that the forest service crew was unable to complete. I will also have to do my final end of project report to submit to the forest service. Some pictures of our completed work.









The weather wrecked havoc on us for the past week as well. It rained everyday since last Saturday through Wednesday. Tuesday was the worst. When we started our hike to our worksite it was 42 degrees and raining. About 10 minutes into our hike it was colder and hailing. 10 minutes after that it was sleeting and when we got to our worksite it was a combo of those as well as snowing. We were working right at the snowline. It was a blizzard at our highest work spot, but 100 ft in elevation lower it was raining. And in between it was everything. We worked until 9:30 when the forest service told us to pack up and go home as it was too dangerous.

Winter is coming!


I'll probably post once more from Tahoe and a final time from Flagstaff before heading into the backcountry for 5 weeks. I'm working on getting off up here on Wednesday so I can road-trip back through California to see people on my way. Stay tuned for that.

Oh yeah, the salmon are running

No comments:

Post a Comment