This is the post where I inform everyone where I am going and what I will be doing. Now I know I said my posts would be entertaining, however I will say this one wont be. So if you are looking for entertainment purposes please click here.
Otherwise Here goes:
Since I graduated I have been looking to leave Davis and had it in my mind that I would leave at the first opportunity that presented itself. After backpacking this summer for 8 days in the Sierras I decided I wanted to focus my job search on positions where I could work outdoors in beautiful settings much like those I experienced during my trip. I applied for many park ranger jobs and got rejected from each of them. The rejection letter claimed I was highly qualified but not amongst the highest qualified. So how do I become highly qualified I pondered? After contacting some highly experienced park rangers who were extremely helpful it seemed I would have to start with less than a full time job with good pay and benefits. So I redoubled my efforts and focused here and lo and behold I got one of the first positions I applied for. I got the official acceptance letter on December 9th and now in less than a week I will be moving out of Davis for the first position that popped up like I had decided in June
This past month has been hectic to say the least. Working at a restaurant, going on a cruise, spending Christmas with the family, and the hassles of trying to pack up and move to a new state in less than a month.
So,
I am leaving January 2nd on a big bird and flying to Flagstaff, AZ. In Flagstaff I will be one of 10 interns for the American Conservation Experience (ACE)
For 6 months I will be apart of their first ever Professional Development Internship program where I will "spend 6 months training on complex trail construction, forestry or environmental restoration projects. The goal of the position is to accomplish meaningful project work for a variety of agencies while becoming proficient in advanced field techniques such as trail construction, dry stone masonry, fencing, chainsaw use, and GPS Survey method."
So yeah that is their description of the program in a nutshell. Having found out more info in the last month as I prepare to move I have gotten more information yet I also have more questions as to what all I will be doing. It seems that ACE will be learning almost as much from the experience as the interns. The first email I got after I was accepted into the program said we would be doing an 8 day training stint in the Cleveland National Forest learning about dry stone masonry, but now if weather is good I will go to the Grand Canyon on January 6th with the other interns to do 8 days of trail work in the Grand Canyon. Looking at weather forecasts it seems I will indeed be going to the Grand Canyon.
After 8 days there I will have 3-6 days off in Flagstaff where I will have the opportunity to tell all of you what I did and where I will be going next. And it seems like that will be my life for the next 6 months: 8-10 days in the field followed by 3-6 days off, followed by 8-10 days in the field... and you get the idea. So you can expect a blog every 10 days or so for the next 6 months in which I will write about my adventures and post pictures of the places I have been.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck bud. It sounds like an amazing work environment.
ReplyDeleteNice skating, I wish we could've seen you ride again.
ReplyDelete