Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Step 9: Weather wins and so do I

Just got an email announcing the cancellation of our Grand Canyon Trip that we were supposed to leave for tomorrow. This means I get to enjoy the snow and skiing until this Sunday when we leave for the Cleveland National Forest by San Diego. We will be doing 8 days of training on trail building and maintenance. It will be a stark change, both weather and work wise from our trip to the canyon. Weather should be much warmer, and there will be much less hiking as we will be essentially car camping and the work site is only a mile or so from our camp. The good news is I hope to be able to get some running in while I am there and perhaps see some friends down in that area as well.

As for this "storm of the century" that the people of Flagstaff have been discussing all week. I am not impressed. We only got 6-8 inches last night and has been sunny all day. Finally some clouds are rolling in and snow should be coming down by 4pm and 8-10 inches are expected tonight. For a town that averages 100 inches of snow per year, they certainly don't handle it well. They close the highways because of a few inches of snow, people drive around clean and dry streets all day with chains on, and the supermarkets have been cleaned out as if people are planning on being stuck in their houses for weeks at a time.

Since we won't be leaving at 6am tomorrow for project we will most likely be heading out tonight to a mexican place with 2fer Tuesdays deals. 2 for 1 meals. $2 beer(all beer) $2 margaritas. No 25cent drinks, but that is just another 24 hours later so we can be patient I suppose. Also there is an indoor track meet at the Walkup Skydome this Friday night that I will go check out. That's all for now.

1 comment: