Monday, October 18, 2010

Back in Flagstaff and Leaving Just as Quickly

My last week of work in Tahoe consisted of tiding up a few things at the work-site and writing up a 40+ page end of season report.
We did get to use the highline on Monday though which was fun. Moving large rocks elevated 20+ft on a 200+ft long cable.
Here you can see us guiding the rock towards it's final resting place.

I left Wednesday after work to start the drive to Flagstaff in my new truck. The first 3 hours were very slow going getting out of Tahoe as I only covered 150 miles during that time. But things picked up and I made it to 30 miles outside of Barstow around 2am and slept for a few hours in the truck before making it the rest of the way to Flagstaff.
The sunrise in the desert was quite something on Thursday morning

Since getting back to Flagstaff I have been visiting as many of my friends from here as possible before I leave.
Speaking of leaving, I will be heading out of Flagstaff tomorrow at 7am to head to the Galiruo Wilderness in Coronado National Forest. I had never heard of this place before Friday, but the more I read, the more excited I am to go there.
Here is a link to some info about the place.


Besides the remoteness and ruggedness of the area I am excited because we will be staying at the Power's Cabin. It is a historical cabin from the early 1900's that was made famous by a large gunfight that took place there which led to the largest manhunt in Arizona history.
Additionally the highest mountain in the area had a B-24 bomber from World War 2 crash there so I hope to check out the wreckage while I am there.
Overall it should be an awesome project in an incredible place. I am stoked to be out there for 5 weeks straight.
I will be returning to civilization on November 24th and will be spending a relaxing Thanksgiving here in Flagstaff at which point you can expect a detailed blog post and many pictures.
Until then....

1 comment:

  1. a life on the road. well done puddin pop. indeed, might want to spruce up the back of your living quarters if you expect any ladies to want to spend time with you in there!

    keep the blog rolling when you get back from the Gadklfhapowehf wilderness.

    heart,

    lonac

    ReplyDelete