Friday, January 22, 2010

Step 10: Ok, so the big one did happen

While I was unimpressed with the first wave of the storm. The hype has now been validated. 3 feet of snow in the last 24 hours (not including the rain that fell from 2pm-6pm making driving conditions terrible as well as my brief ski trip), and another 3 feet of snow expected by this time tomorrow. The majority of Flagstaff businesses have shut down, although I found one brave pizza place still delivering last night. Needless to say I tipped the driver well for making the drive to our apartment and saving me a walk in the rain. Since I was planning on leaving on Wednesday for work I have run out of food, besides some oatmeal and bagels.

A number of building are failing because of the snow loads.
The ski resort has shut down because of power outages. They have gotten 60-80 inches in the last 4 days and will be over 100inches for the week. So if it is open tomorrow I will be there. For perspective Flagstaff averages 100inches of snow for the year. Thank God for El Nino.

On my walk around town this morning I took some pictures.
From The storm

This is the door to our apartment. Notice the icicles overhead. Need to be careful heading out in the morning.
From The storm

This is our driveway. The night before we had cleared off the tops of the vehicles and the driveway was clear. So this is like 10 hours of snow.

Sidewalks are not used. No way to hit the crosswalk button.

The community gardens won't need to be watered for a while.

We leave Sunday for the Cleveland National Forest. Next blog post upon my return.

2 comments:

  1. that looks hardcore! here's the cliche comment in this situation: who ever said we were in global warming??

    ReplyDelete
  2. please tell me you are joking about the global warming comment.

    ReplyDelete