I am holed up in a coffee shop today after we just had a meeting this morning to go over important info for the coming project, payroll stuff, future projects, insurance and other logistical info. The snow started coming down just as our meeting began and it isn't supposed to stop until Saturday or Sunday which pleases me greatly. I just bought new backcountry telemark touring skis and boots and am stoked to get out there in some badly needed snow. This storm means we may not be able to make it to our scheduled project at the Grand Canyon as the roads will probably be closed and the trail would be far to dangerous to get down to our worksite. So we may do some classroom training here in Flagstaff, which is fine by me as this means I will get to learn how to telemark ski in powder rather than hardpack cause I am sure I will be taking some spills. The downside to staying in Flagstaff is that I do not get free food for 8 days. So the ideal situation is that the storm is not so bad that we can drive to the Grand Canyon and stay on the Rim and shovel snow. That way I can take my skis still, get free food, and go back to the canyon. However because of today's national holiday, and tomorrow is a holiday for the Canyon, we won't really know until Wednesday morning.
I went for a 60 min run Saturday and found some sick cave-like bouldering spots just a few miles from our house that are sheltered from snow meaning we can climb there year round. Saturday night we went out to watch a live band, Run Run Run (indie rock band from L.A.) at the Monte Vista Lounge. The opening band was terrible, but Run Run Run was pretty awesome. Even better was we befriended an older couple who is good friends with the owner of the lounge which earned us free drinks(Jager shots, Belvedere Vodka martinis) all night and an invite to the older couples' mountain lodge 30 miles north of Flagstaff. I may even be able to get Life on Mars a gig there this spring should they be interested in making the trip down here.
So yeah, that's the rundown. I'll post again once I actually know the plan for the next project. I hope everyone enjoys the nice weather as much as I will!
You sound miserable, sorry you can't find anything fun to do in Arizona man.
ReplyDeleteyeah, what a drag.
ReplyDeleteJäger and vodka martinis. Sign me up. With love Dirty P.
ReplyDeleteA gig would be very nice indeed.
ReplyDelete